Often, a rave product comes to the skincare community and micellar water was one in recent years. The first time I used micellar water was in 2016 with the Beauty Formulas version. At the time, I thought it was a toner and I was confused.
Are you confused?
Wondering what it really is, if you need micellar water and the right ways to use it?
This post will clarify what you need to know about the ever-popular micellar water in 4 questions
What Exactly Is Micellar Water?
Micellar water is a cleansing liquid made from soft water and micelles which are small lipid molecules that have cleansing properties suspended in water.
These micelles have both water-loving and fat-loving sides which act as a magnet to take off dirt, impurities and makeup from your face.
Using micellar water is a game-changer because you get both oil and water as cleansing agents. The water takes off the dirt and hydrates the skin while the oil molecules take off the makeup and excess sebum (oil produced by your body).
I believe the best part about micellar water is how gentle it tends to be on the skin.
Can You Use Micellar Water?
Micellar water has been found to be generally safe for all skin types, including sensitive skin. As always, look through the ingredient list of the product you may want to buy to be sure it has more good ingredients. As much as is possible, stay away from those that may have alcohols or fragrance in them.
Some brands have other nourishing ingredients like glycerin, niacinamide, panthenol added to the product so your skin can get other benefits.
You can use micellar water;
- As a first cleanse: I recommend double cleansing and micellar water has an oil base. If you wear sunscreen (which you TOTALLY should) or makeup, it can help take off these and dirt too. However, micellar water should be followed up with a water-based gel or foaming cleanser.
- To cleanse after a workout session: Workouts produce sweat which should not be allowed to stay on your face as it is filled with oil and may even come with the buildup of dirt and a face cloth/ paper towels will not take it off properly. Immediately after your workout, use it to rid your skin of dirt and sweat.
- To undo mistakes while applying makeup: Did you draw a wonky winged liner or put on the wrong shade of concealer? Instead of having to wipe the makeup off, use a cotton swab or bud to gently clean off the mistake and you are good to go!
- Again, to take off your eye makeup: Stop pulling out your lashes!! Saturate a cotton bud (Q-tip) with micellar water and apply it generously on the lash glue area. I promise you, it will take it off smoothly. Your eyes are sensitive. Don’t rough play with them.
How Should You Use Micellar Water?
Overall, it is a super easy product to use. All you need to do to use it effectively are:
- Saturate a cotton pad with the micellar water.
- Apply gently in an upward, circular motion across your face.
- To clean your eye area, leave the cotton pad on your eye area for a few seconds and then wipe gently across to take off the dirt/ makeup.
- Rinse your face with clean water. If the water in your neighbourhood is hard, you can leave this part out.
Micellar Water is a product most brands have gotten right. There is a myriad of options available., Here are some Skin by Dee approved brands that get the job done:
- Simple Micellar Cleansing Water
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water
- Beauty Formulas Micellar Cleansing Water
Yes! You can add micellar water to your routine. It is not magic, but it is an affordable way to greatly help your skin’s cleansing process and overall, enhance your skin.
Do you use micellar water? What is your favourite part of your skincare routine? Do share in the comments!